Friday 12th July, 2013

It's already day three of the first Ashes Test but today is the first time I've been able to go to the match and watch it live. Just like a little kid at Christmas I am ridiculously excited. Driving to Trent Bridge and seeing the thousands of cricket fans walking to the ground was unbelievable, as though it were some kind of medieval tournament - commoners and nobles all marching from corners of the country to witness a bloody battle to the death. Many would probably argue that's exactly what the Ashes is about.

Though exceptionally early in the campaign, it's been a frustrating start to this Ashes Test for us personally - more so for Ed. On the very first day (two days ago) he became violently ill with the virus that had sent Romy to hospital the night before. He was so sick that between waves of nausea, headaches and vomiting, he says he doesn't even really remember facing the first ball. He arrived back at the hotel early - his skin and eyes an horrific shade of dark grey - and collapsed on the floor in front of our hotel room. Worryingly, he's still quite ill today but the expectation is that he must still be out there to play.

In the crowd I'm wearing a green summer dress and sandals, coupled with a hat I knicked out of Ed's suitcase in a feeble attempt to keep the sun off my face. Romy is spending the afternoon at a local daycare centre, much to her delight and mine. She gets so outrageously excited to interact and play with other kids and their toys - her mother and the same three Wiggles DVDs no longer suffice in the entertainment department. After two long sick days confined to our hotel room we were both scrambling to get some daylight and fresh air.

Everyone is talking about Ashton Agar's incredible debut innings yesterday and I spot his family sitting in the new stand, a few seats in front of me. Apparently the Agar family are being bombarded with hundreds of interview requests through Cricket Australia, some reporters and journalists even tracking down their personal contact details for direct access, which is very cheeky. All of this attention must be incomprehensibly overwhelming for them as I'm certain they wouldn't have been expecting anything like it earlier in the day. For such a special and monumental time, I just hope they are afforded some privacy and respite from the media to be able to relax and enjoy it.

Despite the craziness around me, I can't help my thoughts turning towards dinner or more specifically, what I'm going to feed Romy. Our hotel rooms don't have stoves, grills or microwaves (let alone kitchens) which makes it difficult to prepare anything wholesome. She's very quickly learning to eat 'adult food', wanting to try anything that Ed and I have on our plates and are eating ourselves, but with Ed unlikely to arrive home from the ground tonight until around 8pm and myself being not much of a dinner-eater, I'm struggling to come up with new ideas on what I can bring back to the hotel for her.

It's now 5pm and my phone alarm has just gone off to remind me that I have to go and pick Romy up so I'll leave the ground earlier than I would have liked. I'm thrilled though, to have been able to make it and witness the 'battle' in person. I'm sure there are thousands of others who would've given a limb to be in my seat today and for these opportunities I feel truly blessed.