Monday 15th July, 2013

Today is what we term a 'travel day' where the cricket team moves from one city to another. The team bus had a scheduled departure time of 10.30am and the rest of us were also due to take a another bus from Nottingham to London. I decided to hang onto our hire car for one more day though, and drive the 2-3 hour journey myself - it's much easier that way with all of the stuff I'm having to cart around for Romy.

Carly very kindly offered to accompany me in our little Vauxhall hire car (if you haven't seen her guest blog from Saturday it's a must read). Having lived in London for much of her life it didn't take any convincing to assure me that Carly would make a great co-pilot and navigator. Little did she realise how feral things can get on a long car trip with an almost-one-year-old..

Happily cruising along the picturesque M1 chatting about everything in our lives other than cricket, we were forced to pull over when Romy started vomiting profusely in the back seat. As proven almost a week ago, this kid knows her way around a vomit. She didn't just posset a little on her singlet top - oh no - she was SWIMMING in it in her car capsule.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the same virus-related spew of recent days but more to do with something she had eaten at lunch. I was completely floored as to how I was going to clean it (and her) up and if it wasn't for my 'contingency-packing' (all of the extra towels, blankets and wipes Ed and I had argued about me taking only hours earlier) it may have finished up a very rotten and stinky old ride into town. Actually, it still did.

We pulled up at the hotel and with traffic backing up through the driveway, the concierge very swiftly emptied our car. The team bus had left half an hour later than us but arrived an hour earlier, so Ed was also at the front door to greet me. His smile soon turned to a look of horror as he lifted Romy from her car seat and ended up covered not only in the oral remnants of her lunch, but a nasty leaking nappy as well. Lucky for him they're given more than one Cricket Australia polo shirt!

ROAD-TRIP! The calm before the storm...