Saturday 13th July, 2013

Guest Blogger CARLY JACKSON tells what it's like to be the only Pommy-lass in our otherwise all-Aussie tour group!

"So here I am, stuck in No-Man’s-Land, somewhere between the Aussie FANatics and the Barmy Army who are drunkenly exchanging dry banter and working together to create a pretty impressive beer snake…

Banished to the stands by the same girls that I’ve spent two years standing shoulder to shoulder with from South Africa to Sri Lanka, India to the West Indies, cheering our boys on to victory on the field.  The reason? I happen to have an English accent, and am therefore a potentially untrustworthy ‘mole in the camp’ for the next six weeks!

Before we arrived here, I was unwavering; “Who will you be cheering for during the Ashes then?”, “Australia of course” I would say, almost incredulous people could ask such a question; but as the first Test unfolds here at my treasured Trent Bridge, I’ve discovered that this issue wasn’t quite as black and white as I’d first assumed.

It’s the morning of Day One, First Test, Ashes Series. For those of us that love our cricket, English or Australian, it doesn’t get bigger than this. I’m standing with my parents and sister watching the flags unfurl on the pitch, the band marching in ready for the anthems and here come the teams; both heading down to the pitch together, so for the time being my loyalties aren’t tested, I’m cheering for everyone, the occasion, no questions asked!

The Aussie Anthem starts up and with the proud FANatics full voiced, I find myself singing along – my sister shoots me a very unimpressed look! 1-0 Australia. But then the first strains of ‘God Save The Queen’ begin and I pipe up again - 1-1 - this is going to be a long series!!

England bat first and soon enough the first wicket falls – my family are crestfallen as Captain Cook walks back to the Pavilion – but Patto got the wicket and I’m just thinking about Kayla, sitting over with the girls, and am so thrilled for her, and for James getting his first Ashes wicket. Maybe I am cheering for Australia after all!

Then the wickets keep falling, and I find my gut instinct is telling me that I’m not too happy about it! I’ve spent two years cheering on these Aussie wickets with the clearest of conscience, but today, it’s just not that easy. I guess it’s hard to change what has been ingrained in you for the best part of thirty years!

Sids gets going and before you know it, he’s celebrating his five-fer. I’m up out of my seat cheering and straight on the texts to Anna, Sids’ girlfriend, who I know will still be awake in the middle of the night watching back home in Melbourne; “Go you good thing Sids!” I’m so happy for him! Damn this is confusing!?!

Shane and Chris come out to open the batting, and I’m hoping for big scores – especially from Shane, as his wife is one of my closest friends. Teddy goes for a first-ball duck and I’m heartbroken. By this stage I’m convinced that clearly I’m cheering for Australia, but a controversial dismissal late in the afternoon and resulting heated ‘debate’ with Gav over dinner in the evening about Hotspots, Hawkeye and Third Umpires and my heart is telling me it isn’t so easy to renounce England just yet!

I’ve got a feeling that this to-ing and fro-ing is going to continue for a few weeks yet.

I’m a very proud English lass who supports her country across a myriad of sports, but I have also spent the last two years with those guys out in the field and up on the balcony, forging lasting friendships with them and, more importantly, my fellow partners on tour. We are each other’s support network and keep each other laughing and smiling through what can sometimes be a pretty testing lifestyle!

So when the Aussie boys take to the field over the next few weeks, I will always be there at the ground proudly whistling and cheering every one of them on to success; but I will still be that girl in the crowd belting out ‘Jerusalem’ before each day’s play!

Maybe No-Man’s-Land is the right place for me after all!" - CJ


Virginia and Carly sitting in the New Stand at Trent Bridge